Newborn Sleep Myth #1
Baby's instinctively know how to sleep - FALSE!
Newborn Sleep Myth #2
Never waking a sleeping baby - FALSE!
- get lots of natural light during the day
- wake baby from a nap if sleeping through a feed (as above)
- keep night feeds quiet with no talking, dim or no night and definitely no electronics such as TV, Ipad, etc. - this light can wake baby and you up more. Tip - nightlight with a 4 watt bulb is all you need.
Newborn Sleep Myth #3
Most baby's sleep through the night at around 3 months - FALSE!
Waking to feed or for a change is perfectly normal for infants under 6 months. Below reflects the current research showing the average number of times young babies wake up between 10:00 p.m. and 6:00 a.m.
- 1 month: 3-4 times
- 2 months: 2-3 times
- 4 months: 1-2 times
- 6 months: 0-1 times
Newborn Sleep Myth #4
Baby can sleep anywhere - FALSE!
- use black out shades during the day and for the early morning
- have soothing white noise with a consistent tone
- keep sleeping space free of stimulating objects or mobiles
- ideal sleeping temperature is 68-72 degrees.